PASSIVE VOICE EXERCISE
I. Put these sentences into the passive voice
- They will translate this book into Vietnamese.
- No one could do anything to put the fire out.
- Where do people speak English?
- They used to drink beer for breakfast in England years ago.
- Should they help Jane with the sewing?
- The mechanic is repairing Judy’s car.
- They make these artificial flowers of silk
- Did they feed Lulu last night?
- He has spelt this word wrongly.
- Nick will bring the pizzas to our house.
- They are going to steal your money if you’re not careful.
- Has anyone ever asked you for your opinion?
- How do people learn languages?
- Where will your company send you next year?
- Who looked after the children when you were away?
II. Put the following sentences into the opposite voice (actice or passive)
- The medals were presented by Nelson Mandela.
- You shouldn’t expect your friends to help you.
- Bananas are exported to Europe.
- They have discovered oil at the North Pole.
- Someone stole all our money and passports.
- A new hospital is being built in my neighborhood.
- Fortunately, the machinery wasn’t damaged by the accident.
- The traditional “ao dai” used to be worn by most Vietnamese women.
- Something must be done before it’s too late.
- I was paid a lot of money to do the job.
I. Put the following sentences into reported speech.
- “Are you going to visit your aunt tomorrow?” asked Tom
- “Listen to me and don’t make a noise,” said the teacher to his students.
- “I’m tired of eating fish” said Mary to Helen.
- “There are still so many difficulties ahead. Let’s double our efforts,” the President said.
- “If I were you, I would take the course,” Jane told me.
- “I’m sorry I’m late,” she said. “The bus broke down.”
- “Come in and look around. There’s no obligation to buy,” said the shopkeeper.
- “Have you already reviewed all your lessons?” she said to me.
- “Can you speak more slowly? I can’t understand,” he said to me.
- “How much do you think it will cost?” he asked.
- “I have no idea. I just go along to see what will happen,” the boy said.
- “Why didn’t you come to my party last night, Betty?” Tom said.
- “Would you mind turing the music down?” Andrew said to Anne.
- “There isn’t much rain in the south of the country,” said Harry.
- “Which way is the post office?” the tourist asked.
- “Is this your father’s car?” the policeman asked Sandra.
- “I don’t know where Archie is” said Vicky.
- “ I can’t go to school today because I’m ill,” said Mike.
- “Will we read the story?” Billy asked his teacher.
- “Let me help you make the sandwiches,” Judy offered.